Read me first...

Brief of Wellington Cantonment..

Wellington Cantonment is situated three kilometers to the north of Coonoor. The Mettupalayam-Ooty road passes through the Cantonment. The Wellington Cantonment was earlier known as Jakkatalla (or Jacketallah) from the Badaga Village of that name to the north of it. In 1852, Sir Richard Armstrong, the then Commander-in-Chief, recommended that the name should be changed to Wellington in honor of the Iron Duke, who from the first had evinced an... Read more

Brief of Wellington Cantonment

Wellington Cantonment is situated three kilometers to the north of Coonoor. The Mettupalayam-Ooty road passes through the Cantonment.

The Wellington Cantonment was earlier known as Jakkatalla (or Jacketallah) from the Badaga Village of that name to the north of it. In 1852, Sir Richard Armstrong, the then Commander-in-Chief, recommended that the name should be changed to Wellington in honor of the Iron Duke, who from the first had evinced an interest in the establishment of sanatorium on the Nilgiris. In 1860, Sir, Charles, Trevelyan held that this interesting Military Establishment could not be connected with a more appropriate name than Wellington. He therefore ordered that Jakkatalla Station be called henceforth as Wellington.

The construction of barracks began during the year 1852 and was completed in the year 1860, popularly known as Wellington Barracks. It assumed importance in the Station and is currently occupied, since February 1947, by Madras Regimental Centre. The Wellington Barracks is now named as Srinagesh Barracks in memory of the First Indian Colonel of the Madras Regiment � Gen. S.M.Srinagesh.

The native Bazaar, now known as the Cantonment Market, is away from the Barracks and is on the other side of the stream after crossing the Waterloo Bridge, more commonly known as Black Bridge, a tarred wooden construction, which has been reconstructed during March,2009 and renamed as Manekshaw Bridge in memory of Field Marshal Sam Maneckshaw.

The Anglican Church, St.George's and the Roman Catholic Church,St.Joseph's were designed by Maj.Morant, R.E. and were built in 1885 and 1888 respectively.

An important Defence Institution, the Defence Services Staff College was started from 1947 and is located in front of War Memorial of the Madras Regimental Centre.

Wellington is a Class II cantonment with about 20000 population and is located in the Top of the beautiful Nilgiris and is about 12 Km from Ooty, one of the most famous hill station of the Nilgiris. It is surrounded by green and refreshing tea estates and enjoy a pleasant climate throughout the year. Many important tourist places such as Mudumalai national park, Botanical garden, Dodabeta peak, Kalhatti water Falls, Pykara lake, Ooty lake etc are in close proximity to the cantonment.Read more